Live Updates: Rescuers Begin Third Day of Search for Survivors of Collapsed Building in Florida

Firefigters spray water at the debris on Friday of the partially collapsed building in Surfside, Fla.
Credit…Chandan Khanna/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Smoke from a fire deep within the debris of the collapsed Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Fla., has created severe difficulties for search and rescue workers, Mayor Daniella Levine Cava of Miami-Dade County said Saturday morning.

No further victims were found overnight or early Saturday, the mayor said at a news briefing. Officials have accounted for 127 people who were at the building at the time of the collapse; 159 remain unaccounted for. And four people have been confirmed dead.

“As you heard, we’re facing incredible difficulties with this fire. The fire has been going on for a while. It’s a very deep fire,” she said. Workers have not yet been able to isolate the fire’s source, and the growing smoke from below the rubble has made it difficult for searchers to locate people presumed trapped.

Erika Benitez, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade Fire Department, said Saturday morning that it had been a while since rescue workers had heard sounds of people from beneath the rubble. But she said officials are still holding out hope. “The search and rescue is an operational assessment. If we’re continuing to do so, it’s because we feel it’s possible,” people are alive.

Search and rescue workers are using infrared technology, foam and water, the mayor said. Teams also created a trench to try to isolate the fire and continue to search for victims in the part of the rubble rescue teams have access to.

“The world is watching, and we thank everyone for their prayers, their support,” Mayor Cava said. “We feel it.”

This story is developing.

Rescuer workers used heavy equipment to remove debris as search efforts entered a third day on Saturday at the site where the Champlain Towers South collapsed in Surfside, Fla.
Credit…Scott McIntyre for The New York Times

As the sun rose on Saturday, rescue workers entered the third day of an increasingly desperate search for anyone who might still be alive within the giant pile of broken concrete and twisted metal that once was a condominium building north of Miami Beach.

Four people have been confirmed dead, but the fate of 159 others remained unknown, and their family members clung to thinning threads of hope.

Not a single survivor was found on Friday or early Saturday in the smoking debris of the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Fla., and the families of the missing wrestled with growing dread. At least seven children were among those still unaccounted for.

“We know there are people in that pile,” the mayor of Surfside, Charles W. Burnett, said in a televised interview on Saturday morning. “We are going to get them out. We are going to pull them out as fast as possible.”

For family members, the wait for news has been excruciating.

“I don’t know what to think,” said Sergio Barth, whose brother Luis Barth was believed to have been in the building with his wife and 14-year-old daughter when it collapsed shortly after midnight on Thursday. “I mean, there is, I think, resignation here, with just a little, little, little esperanza — you know, hope. Miracles happen. So until the authorities say the investigation is closed, we have to keep thinking positive.”

Rachel Spiegel had kept vigil near the rubble pile, eyes fixed on the area where Unit 603, the sixth-floor condo belonging to her mother, Judy Spiegel, 66, had likely crashed to earth. “I know where my mom is,” she said.

While the cause of the collapse remained unknown, the town released documents late on Friday showing that an engineering consultant warned the building’s owners two years ago about “major structural damage” to the concrete slab below the pool deck, as well as extensive cracking and crumbling of the columns, beams and walls of the parking garage under the 13-story structure.

The engineer, Frank Morabito, did not say the building was in danger of collapse, but he did say repairs were needed to ensure its “structural integrity.”

After two initial rescues, only bodies have been found. The first victim to be identified was Stacie Fang, 54, whose teenage son, Jonah Handler, was pulled safely from the rubble in the early hours of the disaster. Family members of the missing were asked to provide DNA swabs in case they were needed to identify remains.

All day and into the night on Friday, rescuers worked through thunderstorms that left pockets of flooding, and grappled with on-and-off fires whose smoke hung over the unstable pile of rubble. Dousing them was out of the question, so emergency workers tore through the debris to get to the source of the flames and pull it away.

Search-and-rescue teams burrowed underneath the debris from a parking garage, drilling through concrete and inserting probes with cameras to peer through the rubble. Specialized hearing devices alerted them to sounds that might mean people were still alive and trapped — tapping scratching, falling debris and twisting metal.

Above, two cranes gingerly removed debris from the pile on Friday with metal claws. When they paused, firefighters with red buckets clambered up to dig by hand.

The rescue workers also used dogs and sonar equipment, but the debris pile was unstable and it was slow going, officials said. “They are in the tunnels. They’re in the water. They’re on top of the rubble pile,” Mayor Daniella Levine Cava of Miami-Dade County told CNN on Friday night.

A team of federal investigators from the National Institute of Standards and Technology was dispatched to the disaster site on Friday to begin piecing together causes of the collapse.

The investigators will look for corroded components, an undermined foundation or defects in the construction or design, engineering and architectural experts said.

The building — a 13-story structure at 8777 Collins Avenue — was about to undergo extensive repairs for corrosion and concrete spalling, or flaking, as part of a required rehabilitation for buildings when they reach 40 years of age. It is also on a plot where the land is sinking in ways neighboring properties are not.

“We have to understand the landscape of a disaster,” one of the engineering experts on the federal team, Sissy Nikolaou, said in an interview.

The partially collapsed Champlain Towers South building.
Credit…Maria Alejandra Cardona for The New York Times

Survivors said they were jolted awake at about 1:30 a.m. on Thursday by fire alarms, falling debris and the feeling of the ground trembling.

At least four people were killed. The authorities fear many more fatalities.

As many as 159 people were unaccounted for as of Friday evening, officials said. The authorities have stressed that the numbers might shift as the authorities figure out how many people were actually in the building.

About 35 people were rescued from the intact part of the building, and two were pulled from the rubble, said Ray Jadallah, a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue assistant fire chief.

The tower was 13 stories tall; about half of the 136 units collapsed.

It was constructed in 1981, according to county property records.

The town, just north of Miami Beach, has about 5,600 residents.

Champlain Towers North, a sister condominium building to Champlain Towers South, which partially collapsed in Surfside, Fla., early Thursday.
Credit…Scott McIntyre for The New York Times

In the hours immediately after much of the Champlain Towers South condominiums collapsed, the authorities evacuated two nearby buildings, an 18-story condominium tower and a seven-story hotel.

But no action had been taken by Friday at the fallen building’s nearly identical sister a few hundred yards up the beach — Champlain Towers North. Both buildings went up in 1981 in Surfside, Fla., just north of Miami Beach. The complex has a third building, Champlain Towers East, erected in 1994.

The mayor of Surfside, Charles W. Burkett, said on Friday afternoon that he was worried about the stability of the north building but that he did not feel “philosophically comfortable” ordering people to evacuate.

He was speaking at a town commission meeting called to formally declare a state of emergency in Surfside, which Mr. Burkett said would give the town access to state and federal funds.

“We have a lot of circumstantial evidence to lead us to believe that there could be issues at the sister building, Champlain Towers North,” Mr. Burkett said. “The layout of the building is the same as Champlain Towers South. It has the same name. It was probably built by the same builder, and it was probably built with the same materials. I can’t tell you, I can’t assure you, that the building is safe.”

Still, Mr. Burkett said he thought the decision to evacuate should be voluntary. He added that had not yet spoken with residents in the building.

Mr. Burkett, an independent, said he had decided on this approach after talking with elected officials in Washington and in Miami.

James McGuinness, who is in charge of Surfside’s building department, told the commissioners that construction crews had been working on the roof of the south building before it collapsed, but he said he saw no evidence that the roof work had contributed to the disaster.

“There was no inordinate amount of materials on the roof that would cause this building to collapse,” Mr. McGuinness said.

Mr. McGuinness said workers had been making repairs to the roof and to anchors on the corners that hold ropes used by window cleaners.

The condominium association had hired engineers to work on a review of the structural integrity of the building and its electrical systems, he said.

Miami-Dade County requires these inspections at intervals of 40 years, Mr. McGuinness said, but the work on the anchors on the roof were not related to the recertification process.

He said the town of Surfside had not yet received the 40-year inspection report from the building’s owners. Commissioners at the meeting said Surfside had no indication that anything was wrong with the building.

Documents released by the town on Friday afternoon, however, showed that an engineering consultant had warned the building’s owners in 2018 about “major structural damage” to a concrete slab below a pool deck as well as crumbling and cracked concrete beams, columns and walls in a parking garage beneath the structure.

Onlookers at the beach on Friday at the site of the Champlain Towers condominium collapse in Surfside, Fla.
Credit…Angel Valentin for The New York Times

Three years before the deadly collapse of the Champlain Towers South condominium complex near Miami, a consultant found evidence of “major structural damage” to the concrete slab below the pool deck, as well as cracking and crumbling of columns, beams and walls of the parking garage under the 13-story building.

The engineer’s report helped shape plans for a multimillion-dollar repair project that was to start soon, but the building suffered a catastrophic collapse in the middle of the night on Thursday, trapping sleeping residents in a massive heap of debris.

The complex’s management association had disclosed some of the problems after the collapse, but it was not until city officials released the 2018 report late Friday that the full extent of the concrete and rebar damage — most of it probably caused by years of exposure to the corrosive salt air along the South Florida coast — became apparent.

“Though some of this damage is minor, most of the concrete deterioration needs to be repaired in a timely fashion,” the consultant, Frank Morabito, wrote about damage near the base of the structure as part of his October 2018 report on the 40-year-old building in Surfside, Fla. He did not say that the structure was at risk of collapse, though he noted that the needed repairs would be aimed at “maintaining the structural integrity” of the building and its 136 units.

Kenneth S. Direktor, a lawyer who represents the resident-led association that operates the building, said this week that the repairs had been set to commence, based on extensive plans drawn up this year.

“They were just about to get started on it,” he said in an interview, adding that the process would have been handled much differently if owners had any indication that the corrosion and crumbling — mild instances of which are relatively common in many coastal buildings — were a serious threat.

Eliana Salzhauer, a Surfside commissioner, said that while the cause of the collapse was unknown, it appeared to her that the problems identified by the engineer in the 2018 report could have contributed to the structural failure.

“It’s upsetting to see these documents because the condo board was clearly made aware that there were issues,” Ms. Salzhauer said. “And it seems from the documents that the issues were not addressed.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: